Friday, June 15, 2012

Well. Tonight was interesting.

Tonight my dad, two of my brothers, and I went to see a movie with some friends of ours.

While waiting outside of the theatre on a large semi-circle bench for our friends, a random guy comes along. Kind of skinny. Wearing shorts and an old white t-shirt, and carrying a duffle bag.
No big deal, right?
Maybe so.
He sat down on our side of the bench. My brother stood up. The guy placed his duffle bag up where my brother was sitting, and started to rifle through it.
I could hear something rattling inside. We ignored him and minded our own business.
"I'm gonna go sit somewhere else," the guy said a minute or two later, picking up his bag. His steps were uneaven, and for the first time I could see his face. His eyes weren't right.
The guy was stoned. Totally. He'd probably been hoping we would make a deal with him.
Yeah. It's not every day you get to sit four feet from a street dealer.

Then once inside the theatre, sitting behind my brother, friend, and I were two teenage guys. They were gamers, I could tell, by listening to them talk.
 Then one of them says, "Dude, what's your best pickup line? How do you get chicks?"
"Well I dunno. Why do you want to know that?"
"Oh, not that I need them or anything, but just because." [note: This is as close to the original conversation as I can get it. Not 100% correct.]
"ASL. It's chatroom lingo."
"What's it mean?"
"Age, sex, location. It's great."
There is where I wanted to turn around and say something, something like, "Wow. No decent girl would fall for that." But...I didn't. I dared my friend to say something to them, and my brother dared her too.
She turned around and asked one of the guys what he was drinking.
"Um...Monster," he said.
The other guy then said, "Hey, is your necklace from Lord of the Rings?"
"She didn't hear you."
That's when I realized...he was talking to me.
"Is your necklace from Lord of the Rings?"
I halfway turned around. "No, it's not."
He blinked and his friend nudged him, saying, "I was right!"
"Oh, sorry, that must have sounded like a really weird question." The guy who had been talking to me said.
"Eh. Don't worry about it."

So yes. Tonight was interesting. It's not every day you sit four feet from a street dealer, have someone try to flirt with you, or see a soda cooler that looks like a larger-than-life R2D2 at a garage sale.

Chazak,
- Hannah

7 comments:

  1. And a good time was had by all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha - that's funny - and strange. Either way, an interesting story. :)
    On a side note, what movie were you going to see?
    Avi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very. =P
      The Adventures of Tintin. We saw it when it came out back in December, but this theatre (yes. I am spelling it the British way) was re-showing it for $2 per ticket. So, we thought, "Why not see it again?"

      Delete
  3. Haha, yeah.
    Aw, that's fun. :) British spelling is actually cool, unlike the British redcoats. Hehe. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just nominated you for an award: http://insideliamsbrain.wordpress.com/2012/06/25/thank-you-sir-may-i-have-another/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Chazak Amats, and have a beautiful day.