Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Ways of This Writer

I am participating in Teens Can Write Too's blog chain. This month's writing prompt is, “What are your writers’ habits and eccentricities?”

Well, okay, then!

When I write, I like to be able to concentrate. Sometimes I will write in our living room, but my favorite writing-spot is the comfy little chair in my bedroom.

A lot of times I will turn some music on for background noise, or music to set a mood for whatever I'm writing.

I don't like writing on desktop computers. Laptops are much better.

When I'm brainstorming, I prefer a notebook and a pen. Like I once told my critique group (this is now a running joke between us...), "My brain works better on paper."





For some reason the feel of the pen in my hand and physically creating each letter helps my brainstorming juices flow, as well as the fact that I can't hit the Backspace key and forget whatever I wrote and disliked.



I like having something to drink when I'm writing. Coffee or tea is the best.



I love writing scenes that are highly emotional or that create an adreneline high, even though they can be incredibly difficult to actually write.

Scenes that can involve a lot of logistics and technological aspects, like Krav Maga fights or car chases, can be hard for me to portray clearly, and I often ask one of my many writer-friends who is knowledgeable in the area I'm struggling with to read the scene and let me know if I did my research well enough.

Depending on the topic, research can be one of my favorite things. Even though it has grossed me out before.
I wouldn't reccomend looking up Necrotizing Fasciitis images, however, and researching Medieval torture methods isn't for the faint of heart. Seriously, no, you really don't want to Google the first one. I was warned against it and that's why I did it, and I paid for it.

Word-wars are wonderful for my motivation. Whenever I hit a slump and the words just aren't flowing, setting up a word-war with one of my friends really helps to get me moving again.

And there you have it...my writerly habits that aren't all that eccentric.

Chazak,
- Hannah




Brainstorm Image Credit
Soldier Image Credit

14 comments:

  1. Glad to know I'm not the only one who finds (some) research fun! I haven't really needed to research anything nasty yet, unless you count ways to kill werewolves. That was weird.
    My MC works in an antique shop, so I do research on antiques and history a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, you're certainly not the only one! Huh...that does sound like a weird topic. I think one of the oddest research-related questions I've asked so far has to be, "How big of a hole would there be if someone was shot at point-blank range in the head by a Glock .22?"
      I got some weird looks from my family for that one.
      Oh that sounds like a lot of fun; I love antiques.

      Delete
  2. Brainstorming always works better on paper. Electronics are too distracting for me. My best ideas form in two places: my head, or my notebook.

    I've come to the conclusion that fantasy writers are writers who don't have the resources to research things. Thus, they fantasize instead of writing real things. I, as a fantasy writer, do as little research as possible when writing. The most I'll do is look up a synonym for something. Everything else lives in my brain. That way, no one can contradict me. Oh, how I love being right...

    Anyway, good post. You're plenty weird for me. Welcome to the blog chain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly.

      I am working on a four-book series that is a HisFic/fantasy hybrid, and I've come to the opposite conclusion. I've researched pretty much every aspect of life, government, the Church, weaponry, etc. for the 12th Century. I can see where you can get by with more in a full-blown fantasy, however.

      Thanks, and I shall take that as a compliment.

      Delete
    2. Unfortunately, every so often there comes along some fantasy series that tries to make its concepts fit in with real life and general good sense. Then they go say something stupid that doesn't work with what they're thinking. Yes, it's fantasy, but the author is trying to make it more realistic; so he shouldn't blow it on one shoddy concept. But it's always fun to think up arguments to prove them wrong.

      Coming from me, yes, that's a compliment. A huge one.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I would agree with that. Fantasy is a genre I haven't explored much, but far-fetched ideas that don't fit the storyline irk me regardless of the genre. In my series, the fantasy element is that I created the countries, although they are set in Europe. Elves, dwarves, and other high-fantasy elements aren't really my thing.

      Thank you. *bows*

      Delete
    4. Elves and dwarves are overrated anyway. They're cool, yes, but in large quantities they can be fatal.

      *touches hat with cane*

      Delete
    5. I agree completely.

      Nice cane. Is there a blade inside?

      Delete
  3. Research can be hilarious. I try to avoid google for the weird things as I never know who'll check my history. I've accumulated a few weird books from dodgy markets though. Several on Celtic mythology that I need to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that is probably smart. I've Googled a lot of weaponry/warfare related things for my futuristic novel, so much so that my dad jokes that our IP address is probably on the FBI's watch-list ;)

      Delete
  4. I had to smile when you said that you work better on a laptop than a desktop - 'cause I can do any writing assignment for school on a desktop, but when it comes to novel writing and brainstorming, I get stuck if I'm using a desktop. :P
    Avi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so weird, because I can do school assignments on desktops all right, but with fiction, it's so much harder. Great minds ;)

      Delete
  5. Really? That is weird! Yup, great minds! :P

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Chazak Amats, and have a beautiful day.