Monday, March 26, 2012

[Review] To Kill A Mockingbird

To Kill a MockingbirdTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I enjoyed To Kill A Mockingbird very much.
It chronicles the misadventures and trials of young Jean Louise "Scout" Finch and her brother, Jem, as they grow up in a small Alabama town in the 1930's. A mysterious neighbor, a court case where their father defends a black man accused of raping a white girl, prejudice, and vengence connected to said case, end up being much more connected than it originally seems. While I feel the plot meanders slightly, it ends up working out well for the story and gave me an "Oh, duh, it makes perfect sense!" moment at the end.

The older feel, the narrative style, and the perspective were all great and consistent throughout the story. I also like how the author handled the more mature themes, by telling the story through the perspective of young Scout (who goes from about 8 to 11 through the course of the book) who didn't fully understand everything that was happening. Character growth was believable and progressed nicely, and the various characters were colorful, and most, very likeable.
This is a book I wouldn't mind reading again someday.



View all my reviews
Chazak,
- Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Chazak Amats, and have a beautiful day.