Friday, February 24, 2012

[Review] In His Steps

In His StepsIn His Steps by Charles M. Sheldon

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


From a theme/message standpoint, this book is phenomenal and adds huge depth and meaning to the all too-lightly used phrase, "What would Jesus do?"/WWJD?



For this I love the book. It made me think. Hard.



From an author's standpoint, some of it didn't end up very...satisfying. While all the central characters were mentioned at the end, I didn't like how the book would follow a character for a few chapters and then drop their part of the story seemingly without warning and only make reference to them from that point forward.

As to the style, it's consistent with the style of the late 1800's, actually being more simple and straightforward than some other books from that time period that I have read.



All in all it's a wonderful book, one I would highly reccomend, for Christians and non-Christians alike.



View all my reviews

Chazak,
- Hannah

7 comments:

  1. Yes, do! You won't regret it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your thoughts on this book. I just pulled it off the shelf for our daughters (13 and 12 years) to read for the very reason that it would really make them think- hard. If you ever have the time, I would love to see your top picks of books to read for ages 10-13. Our girls love to read, but we are having a hard time finding quality books for them.

    Blessings,
    Mrs. Ison (friend of your Momma) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks :)
    Oh, certainly. Some that come to mind right away are:
    The Millie Keith Series
    The Violet Travilla Series
    Understood Betsy
    The Hundred Dresses
    Pretty much any of the shorter Lamplighter books.
    The Childhood of Famous Americans Series
    Iron Scouts of the Confederacy
    The Kingdom Series
    The Trailblazer Series
    The Secret Garden
    A Little Princess
    Anything by Margurite Henry
    The Black Stallion
    Old Sam, Dakota Trotter

    ^those are good for the 10-13 years range.

    For 12-13 years, I also loved...
    Girl of the Limberlost
    The Inn of Sixth Happiness
    Freckles
    Keeper of the Bees
    Call of the Wild
    White Fang
    ...however, all but the first two have a few curse words. Needless to say, my copies of those books have some black pen streaks running through them ;)

    Chazak,
    - Hannah
    p.s. I remember you! And your girls. I remember them being very sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and I also really liked...
    By the Great Horn Spoon
    The Nancy Drew Mysteries
    The Hardy Boys Mysteries
    The Redrock Mysteries

    ReplyDelete
  5. In His Steps! This is a book that has been sitting in my to-read-very-soon pile for a while now. I do need to read it sometime this year. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha, yes, you do need to read it!
      You're welcome--thanks for commenting :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Chazak Amats, and have a beautiful day.