Thursday, August 4, 2011

I'm back, and with news.

[re-post from former blog]

Well, the deadline for the OYAN Student Novel Contest 2011 hasn’t passed yet. But I am posting anyway, because…

I finished “Shadow of Glory”! The first draft, at any rate. It is the longest work I have completed to date, and my 5th novel. My goal is to break 100k with this book during the revision process.

“Official” Starting Date (When I wrote the prologue — this doesn’t count brainstorming, which started in Feb of ’10): February 16th, 2011

“Official” Ending Date: July 31st, 2011

Chapters: 45 chapters with a prologue and an epilogue

Word Count: 96,865 (!)

Page Count: 505 (That’s in double-spaced Courier New, size 12 font.)

Point of View: 1st & 3rd Person (Yes, I know, I’m weird. I mixed PoV’s. A writer friend of mine suggested it when I complained about loving Jer’s voice but not being able to pull of the whole story through his perspective alone. Thanks, mi amigo! It turned out amazingly well, IMO!)

Character Deaths: ….a lot. I killed off over 100 people throughout this book.

Favorite Characters: Jerome, Lex, Kémény, Erin, Slug, Maya, Sean, and Marc

The last three paragraphs:

He’d kill himself, but he didn’t have the guts. He felt like such a coward. Too much of a coward to save his brother’s life. Too much of a coward to end his own.

“Good job.” Stanislav clapped Marc on the shoulder.

Marc shrugged and turned away. He’d reached his goal. Now it was true; he was all Agent. – “Shadow of Glory” Epilogue

I love this book to death. Jerome is one of my absolute favorite characters. He’s actually quite complex and I love writing him. His voice — when I don’t try TOO hard to write “the perfect scene” and instead let his own voice come through — never ceases to amuse me, because the way he thinks and how his kind of wonky mind works really comes through. Take this quote, for instance:

It was as if life was a giant game of Russian Roulette, only luck held the trigger; not the actual players. – Jerome Steele in “Shadow of Glory”, Chapter 21

Or this one:

The darkness was so thick you could’ve stabbed it with a fork. – Jerome Steele in “Shadow of Glory” (I don’t remember what chapter)

He’s pretty awesome, if I do say so myself. ;)

I think–no, I know–I rushed the last 1/3 of the book too much in some areas. Part of that was due to the looming deadline, and part of that was due to the fact that I was not expecting some of the things that happened in the book.

On the bright side, however, I almost made one of my friends cry when she read the ending, and another friend said I had potential to make him cry toward the end (I know that sounds weird. But that is a really good thing for an author to hear!). And two of my readers want to brutally murder one of my characters, after giving him a chance to get saved first, of course. Lol.

I decided against entering it into this year’s OYAN contest. It was a tough decision, but due to the rushed final 1/3 and some other things that had been niggling me, I knew I simply didn’t have enough time to edit it properly. Two weeks? No way.

Instead, I’m polishing up another one of my manuscripts that has already seen five edits. Next year, however, I am going to enter this one!

And…I already have ideas for a sequel. Bad, bad, bad. In a good way. Heh. I am forcing myself to NOT get carried away with it! Sure, I’ll let myself brainstorm. But I can not start writing it at all until I get SoG edited at least twice, “Plague of Darkness” finalized and published via Lulu, “Fate by Proxy” edited again, and “Honor” once more underway.

Sigh.

I don’t want to wait. But I know I need to. I waited a year before I started really writing “Shadow of Glory”. It was torture, but I am so glad I waited. Like Mr. S. says, you don’t want to pick an idea while it is still green. I need to let it wait on the apple tree of my imagination a bit longer and let it ripen before I pick it. The problem is, I have itchy fingers!

Chazak,

- Han

Quotes, characters, etc. are all Copyrighted (c) to me, the blog author. Please do not copy without written permission. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Chazak Amats, and have a beautiful day.