Friday, May 20, 2011

[Excerpt] Shadow of Glory, part of Chapter 11

[re-post from my former blog]

Excerpt from Chapter 11 of my current novel, Shadow of Glory.


“How much did Stanislav pay Marc to pay you?”

That was it. I shoved away from the table and stood up. “I’m sick of answering your stupid questions! He didn’t pay me! Nobody paid me. Got it? So shut up and get me outta here.”

Anteater nodded to Six. Six jumped forward, and before I could move, curled his beefy arm around my neck and slammed me against his chest. I couldn’t breathe. I clawed at his arm but he didn’t budge. He dug his Glock into my temple. I tried to scream; all he did was tighten his grip.

I’m gonna die…

“Now, who paid you?”

I shook my head as best as I could. I couldn’t talk.

“You’re going to stick with that, kid?” The gun was pushed even harder against my head.

They were going to shoot me. For something I had no part in. Great plan…refuge. What a lie. I tried to nod. My head pounded. My chest burned.

I’d never been so scared.

“Five.”

I shut my eyes. I’m sorry, Momma.

“Four.”

I really didn’t abandon you…

“Three.”

I don’t wanna die.

“Two.”

What’s on the other side?

“One.”

I don’t wanna die… I waited for…what, I didn’t know. Pain? Or just sudden…nothingness?


- Hannah Mills Copyright (C) 2011. All rights reserved. Please don’t re-quote this without prior written consent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Chazak Amats, and have a beautiful day.